November is Academic Writing Month. This annual event was established as a way to support academic writing via the #AcWriMo hashtag on Twitter.
During November 2018, the Institute for Academic Development will be running WriteFest, a local contribution to this academic writing month, with the aim of bringing people together to raise awareness and celebrate academic writing.
WriteFest is a collaboration with the Universities of Manchester, Sheffield, Exeter, Bristol, Kings College London, Keele, Sheffield Hallam, Liverpool, Newcastle, Derby and Adelaide.
The festival aims to provide protected time and space for writing to help you to:
During WriteFest the IAD will be running writing retreats and ‘just write’ sessions to provide you with space and time to write, along with a selection of workshops and resources to support your writing.
How to get involved
- Book onto a workshop or writing retreat – have a look at our list to see what is running.
- We will be regularly blogging during the festival from iad4researchers.wordpress.com and iad4phd.wordpress.com, where we will share some experiences, promote events and courses and reflect on academic writing. It will feature a range of voices from the researcher community in The University of Edinburgh and beyond. Please do go and have a look.
- Use the hashtag #AcWriFest18 to share your progress with other researchers, and follow @researchersated and @IAD4PhD to keep up to date with what is happening during the month.
- Also use the Academic Writing Month hashtag #AcriWriMo to get some inspiration from Academic Writing month overall.
- Festival of Creative Learning: You many consider running a Pop-up event as part of the Festival of Creative Learning, linked to academic writing. Both staff and students are invited to apply to run events in the Festival (February) and throughout the year as Festival Pop-up events, in order to encourage new ways of learning and teaching. There is a great deal of support to help you design and deliver your idea.
For more information see: https://www.ed.ac.uk/institute-academic-development/research-roles/writefest