Edinburgh Local Gradschool 2019 – Tuesday 4th June – Friday 7th June 2019
GRADschool is an experiential 3.5 day non-residential learning course, designed for doctoral researchers in the last 18 months of their PhD, aiming to raise participants’ awareness of their personal and professional transferable skills.
The course uses small facilitated groups to enable you to review your experiences at intervals as the GRADschool progresses.
It offers you the unique opportunity to:
- take a step back from your research and consider your next step
- develop a wide variety of personal and professional skills
- build a network with students from across Scotland
- develop self awareness and self confidence
The course aims to help you develop:
- communication, networking, time management, and team work skills
- awareness of your own individual qualities and strengths
- self-confidence in research and beyond
- career management skills and raised awareness of the range of career options open to PhD graduates.
For more information see: https://edin.ac/2pKSR9Q
Prepare for Doctoral Success is a 4-week, interactive online course for all new doctoral researchers at the University of Edinburgh.
Starting a doctorate is a very exciting time, but it can also be difficult to know where to start.
We hope this online course will help you settle in to your doctoral studies by sharing essential information, tips and advice, and giving you an opportunity to interact with other students at the same stage.
Course dates: this course will run for four weeks from Monday 11th February 2019
Time commitment: we estimate you should expect to spend about 1-2 hours per week reading the materials and engaging with the tasks and online forums. It will be run as an asynchronous course, which means you can look at the tasks and post in the forums at a time that suits you.
- Week 1: Getting to know you – this is to introduce you to the course and other participants.
- Week 2: Starting out – the essential information and expectations.
- Week 3: The first year – milestones, planning and skills development.
- Week 4: Working with your supervisor – hints and tips, expectations and supervisor styles.
The next course starts on Monday 11th February 2019. Find out more here
PGR Mid Semester Welcome Event – Wednesday 6th February 2019.
Postgraduate research students arriving after Welcome Week still have the opportunity to attend University welcome events.
These welcome sessions are aimed at any new postgraduate research student who was not able to attend the September or January Welcome Week.
You will be provided with information on:
- how to manage your Research
- the support that is available to you at the University
- Information from the Institute for Academic Development, Library Services and the Students Association
- current PhD students’ experiences
Find out more here
Happy New Year and a prosperous 2019 from the IAD!
As a new year starts we continue to provide a range of resources and workshops for Postgraduate Researchers. Take a look at some of the things we are offering this year:
- Writing Workshops: We offer a range of writing workshops including Getting Started with your writing, Grammar, Writing for Publication, Is my Writing Academic Enough? and Writing Abstracts.
- Online Statistics: We run a 5 week online Introductory Statistics for Life Scientists Course
- PGR Mid-Semester Welcome Event: This event is for students who have missed a University Welcome event this academic year or have arrived recently.
- 3 Minute Thesis: The annual 3 Minute Thesis Competition will take place on the 27th June 2019. Training is available to anyone interested in taking part in this competition, this will take place on the 14th February 2019.
- Prepare for Doctoral Success: this online course starts on the 11th February and will help you settle in to your doctoral studies by sharing essential information, tips and advice, and giving you an opportunity to interact with other students at the same stage.
- Our brochure has more information on the workshop and support available to PGR’s – https://edin.ac/2MmF9Hg
- Follow us on twitter @iad4phd to keep up to date with the latest workshops and events
For more information on all of the above please see here