Go Abroad

Erasmus+ funding available – any subject area!

Going abroad isn’t just for undergraduates or language students. Find out how you could go abroad as part of your Research Masters or PhD – and get funded to do it.

PhD and Research Masters students can apply for Erasmus+ grants worth between €400-450 month, to help you undertake work or research abroad. As the funding is towards your travel and living expenses, it isn’t restricted to a particular activity or subject area; it just has to be in an Erasmus+ programme country, and last between 2 and 12 months.

Some examples of what you could do with the funding are:

  • A supervised research placement at another university, at an institute, or with an expert in your field of specialisation
  • Field work for data collection, or to test your research findings
  • Hands-on experience in a laboratory or specialised organisation
  • Using your expertise as a specialist within a work organisation

Erasmus + funding is available for both paid and unpaid placements, and you can still get it if you’re receiving a salary, PhD bursary, or student loan. Already received Erasmus+ funding during your undergraduate degree? Don’t worry, you’re still eligible!

Applications are open year-round. For full eligibility criteria and to find out more, visit https://www.ed.ac.uk/global/go-abroad/work-abroad.

Any questions? Email workplacements@ed.ac.uk or pop into the Go Abroad Office on central campus for our weekly drop-in sessions – Tuesdays 2-4pm and Thursdays 10am-12pm.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s