Thursday 9th November 2017 (1.00pm – 5.00pm)
Postgraduate students arriving after Welcome Week still have the opportunity to attend University welcome events
What will happen during this event?
This morning is for students who have missed a University Welcome event this academic year or have arrived recently. The event is being hosted by the Institute for Academic Development. You will be provided with information on:
- how to manage your Research
- the support that is available to you at the University
- current PhD students’ experiences
Find out more, and book a place here
We have places available on the following upcoming workshops:
Academic Communication Skills Workshop
19th October 2017
This session is aimed specifically at first year international postgraduate students for whom English is not their first language. It will provide guidance and confidence to students who may feel unsure as to whether they are able to communicate their research effectively. More information and booking here
Team Building and Leadership Fundamentals
25th October 2017
This workshop will help you understand what you contribute to and how to be part of an effective team. It will explore leadership and how you can inspire and motivate other members of a team and resolve conflict. You will learn skills that every team leader and aspiring leader should know. More information and booking here
Think Strategically Respond Rapidly
25th October 2017
This workshop will examine how to respond quickly to opportunities as they arise. It will also examine how to write rapidly to a pre-specification and respond to policy consultations and other stakeholder requests. More information and booking here
Practical Project Management for Research Students
26th October 2017
This workshop will introduce you to project management, with a focus on the development of practical skills. More information and booking here
For a full list of our workshops please see here
We have places available on the following workshop:
Think Strategically Respond Rapidly – 25th October 2017
Research often moves very slowly, but sometimes we need to be able to move very quickly indeed. Last minute conference invitations, grant announcements and journal calls (amongst other demands) all require research teams to mobilize their resources and respond straight away. In this workshop we’ll examine how to respond quickly to opportunities as they arise. We’ll also examine how to write rapidly to a pre-specification and respond to policy consultations and other stakeholder requests.
By the end of this workshop, students should be able to identify strategies to quickly respond to opportunities.
For more information see here
The IAD offers funding for University of Edinburgh staff and students to develop and support academic networks and communities and/or test ideas for creative learning activities. (Includes Festival of Creative Learning Pop-ups.)
The aim of the fund is to support applicants to:
- Establish, develop or support internal interdisciplinary networks, particularly strategically important internal cross-School and cross-College networks.
- Establish, develop or support internal academic communities within a discipline, School or subject area, particularly involving both staff and students.
- Run innovative professional development activities which would support groups of colleagues or students to develop skills in leadership, communication, networking, writing and other generic transferable skills. We encourage you to explore experimental or creative approaches to professional development.
- To run a Festival of Creative Learning Pop-up event outside of the main programme in February. Please refer to the Festival of Creative Learning website (link at bottom of page) for additional information about Pop-ups.
There are two levels of funding available:
IAD Action Fund Small Grants
Small grants can be for up to a maximum of £500. You can apply at any point during the academic year
IAD Action Fund Regular Grants
You can apply to up to a maximum of £3000. Application deadline in October. The next deadline is 16 October 2017.
Find out more here