Edinburgh Local Gradschool is a three day non-residential course that gives you time to step back from your PhD, think about the skills you have developed and how they will help you to take that next step in your career. You’ll have the chance to meet researchers from other universities or subjects and work on group case studies, which give you the opportunity to practice skills such as communication, networking, leadership, influencing, team working and time management.
The GRADschool is aimed at 2nd and 3rd year PhD researchers and has a strong focus on career development and personal impact. As well as having a Careers Adviser on hand, our team of experienced tutors are from a range of backgrounds and will be able to talk to you about how their research background helped to get them where they are now. It is designed to support you in making informed choices about what you would like to do next, motivate you to write up and challenge your assumptions about your skills.
As a result of the programme, you will:
- develop your professional and personal effectiveness
- broaden your skills for becoming a more effective researcher, such as communication, team working, project planning, and decision-making.
- plan and manage the next steps of your career
- understand yourself and challenge your assumptions
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- meet doctoral researchers from a variety of disciplines, backgrounds countries, and career stages
- work with experienced tutors as role models who openly share their career experiences both of research and other careers
- practice building and working in a successful team
The course will run on Wednesday 31st May – Friday 2nd June 2017 from 09.00am – 5:30pm each day. Participants MUST attend on all days.
For more details please visit: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/institute-academic-development/postgraduate/doctoral/courses/gradschool/outline