On the 24th October 2016 we have a guest speaker, Hugh Kearns from Flinders University Australia, running two workshops ‘Seven Secrets of a Highly Successful Research Student’ and ‘The Imposter Syndrome: Why successful people feel like frauds’ Hugh lectures and researches at Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia. He is widely recognised for his ability to take the latest research in psychology and education and apply it to high-performing people and groups. As a co-author with Maria Gardiner, he has published six books which are in high demand both in Australia and internationally.
Seven Secrets of a Highly Successful Research Student
This workshop describes the key habits that our research and experience with thousands of students shows will make a difference to how quickly and easily you complete your research higher degree (RHD). Just as importantly, these habits can greatly reduce the stress and increase the pleasure involved in completing a RHD.
The workshop helps you to understand how to increase your effectiveness and outcomes in the following key areas:
- how you deal with your supervisor
- how you structure your study time
- your attitude (or lack thereof!) in relation to your research
- dealing with writer’s block or having difficulty writing
- getting the help you need when you are stuck
- juggling multiple commitments and never having enough time
- keeping on going when the going gets tough
The Imposter Syndrome: Why successful people feel like frauds
The session will explain why high performing people often doubt their abilities and find it hard to enjoy their successes. It will also show the links to perfectionism and self-handicapping strategies such as procrastination, avoidance and over commitment.
At the end of this session you will:
- know what the latest psychological research tells us about the imposter syndrome is and how it operates
- realise how widespread imposter feelings are and why highly successful people can feel like frauds
- be aware of evidence-based strategies that reduce imposter feelings
Find out more and book a place here